Edward Norton claims that he worked out for three months and ate lots of protein to add the 30 pounds of muscle for the role. We don’t buy it. Apparently Arnold Schwarzenegger, a close friend of Mr. Norton’s was concerned and had contacted him to ask if he was using anabolic steroids in his preparation for the the film. American History X ‘s main character Derek Vineyard needed to be a jacked and menacing figure in order to be a terrifying nazi. And, let’s be honest, if white supremacists all looked like the “before” picture up there, it’d be hard to take racism seriously.
Side-effects from the use of steroids are extremely common and can be quite significant. Most side-effects are reversible once the athlete stops usage although serious long-term side-effects and even death have occurred as a direct result of steroid use.
• Decreased sperm production and sex drive
• Increased aggression, irritability and mood swings
• Liver disorders
• Baldness (alopecia)
• Hypertension (high blood pressure)
• Raised cholesterol
• Gynecomastia (development of over-sized mammary glands in males)
• Menstrual irregularities (in women)
• Hirsuitism (excessive hair growth occurring in females which follows the pattern of male hair growth, . facial)
• Deepening of the voice
• Reduced immunity
• Possible development of tumors (wilm’s tumor, prostate carcinoma and leukemia have been reported, although a connection is not proven)